About Coaction Indonesia
Coaction Indonesia, or Koaksi Indonesia (in Indonesian), is a non-profit organization that acts as a networking and learning hub for innovative ideas that contributes to sustainable development programs throughout the archipelago. Our organization collaborates with multiple stakeholders, including government institutions, private sector entities, research and education institutions, civil-society organizations, local communities, and young activists, to provide concrete solutions and actions to accelerate the development of renewable energy in Indonesia. It is hoped that in the future, renewable energy will be the driver of change initiatives in other sectors such as sustainable transportation and food.
Coaction Indonesia, or Koaksi Indonesia, was officially established on March 16, 2017, and is based in Jakarta. The founders, who previously worked together as a team of experts within the task force for Acceleration of Renewable Energy Development under the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources – Sudirman Said (2014-2016), aimed to make changes in renewable energy sector. The target of this team was to recommend and encourage necessary policies to enhance funding and investment in renewable energy, transfer and spread renewable energy technology to all areas of Indonesia, improve human resource capacity development, and provide educational breakthroughs. The task force was assigned to gather stakeholders, set collective goals, and fill the gaps. Having experienced this, the founders decided to pursue their vision by establishing a non-profit organization using their prior and recent knowledge, capability, network, and collaborations for the future of renewable energy in Indonesia.
In order to create a meaningful impacts and footprints for the community beneficiaries, Coaction Indonesia works gradually and seeks to develop a comprehensive strategy through its 5-year and annual program planning, maintain effective organizational structure and good coordination and governance, utilize knowledge management systems and strategic partnership, and create strong fundraising strategies. In the future, Coaction Indonesia does not only want to be strategic network hub but also intends to expand its role as a knowledge hub for community organizations and related stakeholders. This should be achieved through the building of an online platform of knowledge for renewable energy data and information as well as the building of both online and offline learning forum for organizations to share their experiences and network, that focuses on advocacy work, campaigns, and direct work in the community.
To achieve its vision and carry out its mission, Coaction Indonesia serves several strategic roles, including:
- Providing policy recommendations to the government
- Enacting campaigns that target young individuals through direct campaigns, social media and other media approaches
- Building networking and learning hubs to encourage collective work in creating a renewable energy development system
- Optimistic: Narratives of advocacy and organizational campaigns with calls that are positive (non-intimidating) and solutions oriented
- Collaborative: Emphasize cooperation with various parties
- Integrity: Be morally responsible for the results of the work conducted and the resources used
- Inclusive: Ensure the representation of all groups including those that are vulnerable
- Sustainable: Uphold a balance between economic, environmental and social aspects
- Democratic: Make decisions based on deliberation and consensus
The use of renewable energy as the main energy source of Indonesia, done in a manner that is just, inclusive, and sustainable, in an effort to prevent and mitigate climate change for the welfare of the people.
To pusue its vision, Coaction Indonesia has set its mission to be carried out, including:
- To encourage policy changes that are supportive of renewable energy that is just, inclusive, and sustainable.
- To raise people’s awareness, especially among the youth, through direct campaigns, social media and other media approaches so that they voice their opinions on and begin to use renewable energy.
- To encourage collaboration among stakeholders, the private sector, and funding institutions to build a renewable energy ecosystem and industry.
- To strengthen and enhance the capacity of non-government actors to support and become the pioneers in renewable energy development at central and regional levels.
- To develop Coaction Indonesia’s capacity to become the lead in creating both a networking and learning hub for renewable energy in Indonesia.